Post without Account — your post will be reviewed, and if appropriate, posted under Anonymous. You can also use this link to report any problems registering or logging in.

Handling SVG?

• 2 Replies

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Handling SVG?
« July 08, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
PDF::Builder currently handles several image formats (GIF, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc.), any of which can be dynamically produced (on the fly) for a web page. Another increasingly popular format is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), which can be easily produced on the fly, and displayed by a browser. Would it be worthwhile to handle SVG graphics in the same manner as other graphics? The basic SVG commands are fairly simple to parse into PDF drawing commands, but SVG can also embed images within its codes, adding a layer of complication. The alternative could be to use an external utility to convert SVG content into an already-supported image format, but this would require that the user install some external program(s). Another choice could be to add hooks to permit invoking a user-supplied command line utility to convert SVG (or an arbitrary image format) into a supported image format.

Something like an existing file with SVG or image content (and SVG possibly embedded yet another image file) could either be read in or processed externally, while in-line SVG command text might be directly parsed by image_svg(). This could also pull in image files. Anyway, there are many combinations and possibilities for SVG support, that could be direct support (convert to PDF primitives) plus embedded images, or that SVG is externally converted to a supported image format. A program wishing to output PDF might also dynamically generate SVG for document graphics, in lieu of using PDF primitives directly, such as generating content suitable for browser (HTML) or PDF output.

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Handling SVG?
« Reply #1: November 03, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
Just a note, prompted by wkHTMLtoPDF problem with SVG being rasterized. SVG input should preferably not be rasterized, but should be transformed into PDF graphics primitives. The idea is that such graphics should cleanly scale to all sizes.

I need to investigate whether PDF graphics are a subset or superset of SVG graphics, and whether there is anything in SVG that would be a problem to translate to PDF graphics.

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Handling SVG?
« Reply #2: December 06, 2018, 11:00:09 PM »
I just spent a number of hours digging through SVG, and it's huge — almost as big as PDF itself! Unless I can find a prewritten Perl library to parse arbitrary SVG code, it may just be too large a task to try to support all of SVG. SVG is supposed to be formatted as XML, so an XML-processing library may at least be able to do the task of parsing (and syntax checking) the SVG, leaving me to traverse the DOM and implement (at least) selected parts of it (outputting PDF graphics, text, and image primitives). The worst case would be to hand-code a parser for a small subset of SVG, to take care of the most common things. The challenge here is to later extend it (without breaking something) when someone says they desperately need the transparent bleems function… could I please tack that on?

There's stuff that PDF may not implement (many of the filters), and all the interactive stuff (e.g., <a> links) and animation- and sound-related things can probably be safely omitted. I think it would be sufficient to end up with a static "image" just like GIF, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc. The W3Schools SVG tutorial covers enough of SVG that supporting that much could be enough to get a useful product. On the other hand, the official W3C definition is a staggering amount of work.