Post without Account — your post will be reviewed, and if appropriate, posted under Anonymous. You can also use this link to report any problems registering or logging in.

Text::KnuthPlass general discussion

• 1 Replies

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Text::KnuthPlass general discussion
« December 13, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
Text::KnuthPlass is a library found on CPAN that supports "paragraph-shaping" or "line-splitting", to create an aesthetically pleasing text paragraph layout, balancing line tightness, a minimal number of hyphenated (split) words, and some minor appearance items. It does not worry about widows and orphans (that's the responsibility of whoever is calling Text::KnuthPlass to split a formatted paragraph over a column or page). It can set either "ragged right" or "flush right". It uses the TeX algorithm from Donald E. Knuth and Michael F. Plass.

Problem tickets should be opened up on GitHub (https://github.com/PhilterPaper/Text-KnuthPlass/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc) if at all possible, to avoid cluttering up this board and topic. Anything that should be a ticket will be moved to GitHub. Please open up an account there if you wish to join in the conversation and find yourself posting tickets to this board. The sole area for problem tickets will be on GitHub. If you do not wish to open up a GitHub account, I can tolerate an occasional post here or email via Contact that I move to a GitHub ticket, but please do not abuse the privilege!

With that out of the way, the purpose of this topic is to give you a place to praise (or vent about) Text::KnuthPlass, a Perl library I recently took over from Simon Cozens. You can discuss directions you'd like to see it take, enhancements you'd like, offers of writing code to update it, and so on. Before embarking on a major project, please discuss it here — it's very discouraging to put in a lot of work on a free software product, and then have your efforts airily dismissed by the project owner (I know; it's happened to me). If your envisioned project takes things too far from where I want it to go, I may gently suggest that you either make a new project that makes use of Text::KnuthPlass within it (use or require), or even that you fork it into a new project.

And please, maintain backwards compatibility as much as you can. A new whizz-bang feature isn't helpful if implementing it breaks all the existing code making use of Text::KnuthPlass! And don't forget that Text::KnuthPlass is supposed to work with many other packages, including both PDF::API2 and PDF::Builder, so be careful about requiring functionality found only in PDF::Builder.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 11:54:06 AM by Phil »

Offline Phil

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Text::KnuthPlass general discussion
« Reply #1: December 29, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »
release 1.05 uploaded

Major features:
  • Fix bogus floating point comparison failures in t-tests for long double and quadmath Perls.
  • Fix superfluous hyphen in example (KP.pl) when word split at a hyphen.
  • Add a third sample text to KP.pl.
  • Various minor cleanups, especially of support pages and addresses.